Job Description: Open Door Ice Project leader
Responsible to: Open Door Projects Director and Board of Trustees.
To provide leadership, vision and direction to the Ice Project.
To oversee and support the day to day operation to ensure a positive difference to children and young people.
To identify ways of developing the project.
Hours: 1,000 annualised hours including annual leave allowance.
Salary: £10.50 per hour
Closing date: 5pm on Wednesday 28th February. Interviews will be held on Thursday 15th March.
Open Door Exmouth – Organisational content:
Open Door Exmouth (ODE) has been at the heart of our community for nearly 25 years.
Very simply, we aim to make a positive difference in our area and to help those most in need. But more than that, as a Christian organisation, we aim to work together to extend Jesus’ model of the kingdom of God on earth by living out a lifestyle of love, acceptance, truth, justice, mercy and forgiveness, according to His teaching.
We are inspired by the message, life and example of Jesus through which God’s unconditional love for all people is expressed. We are founded on Jesus’ commandment to ‘love one another as I have loved you,’ and His call to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, care for the sick and afflicted, and to comfort the victims of injustice (Matthew 25:35-40). We do this by identifying the needs in our community, creating support programmes (projects) to meet those needs, and mobilising around 100 volunteers to make a difference in their community, and to help those most in need, through those projects.
Our services are offered to any person who can benefit from them, without regard to gender, marital status, race, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or physical and mental capability. Christian faith will not be imposed on anyone accessing these services.
Contacts with Open Door Exmouth will be assured of respect for their privacy and sensitivity to their needs. Staff will be trained in skills appropriate to their role, and be aware of support services on offer whether directly through Open Door Exmouth, or indirectly through other partner agencies.
Open Door Exmouth has a policy of continuing improvement. This is reflected in staff and volunteer training, and in networking with other agencies to review services offered, together with research to establish areas of need the Charity may consider addressing.
Ice Project Vision:
- To seek God’s heart and vision for the project, developing it in accordance with His will to meet the needs of children, young people and families in our community.
- To demonstrate the love and compassion of Jesus Christ in a practical and relevant way.
- To make a positive difference to children and young people in need.
- To work with the school/s to provide events, activities and teaching which support the spiritual, moral, social and emotional development of young people.
- To encourage prayer among the Christian community for the schools, students and staff.
- To develop links between schools and local churches.
Overview of the Ice Project: The Ice Project has been supporting the 2,600 pupils of Exmouth Community College for over 20 years in which time the project has evolved to best meet the needs of the school. Currently the project delivers:
- 1:1 and group mentoring support to children in need
- a daily drop in safe space called ‘The Hub’
- lunchtime clubs
- a programme of RE lessons and assemblies
- the ICE awards
- a primary school transition day
- distribution of food to families in need
Duties and responsibilities:
- To promote and uphold the Christian ethos of the charity
- To manage the day to day running of the Ice Project
- To evaluate the programme in the light of current needs and develop as appropriate
- To liaise with school to ensure the project remains fully integrated into the school environment
- To encourage and support the project staff and volunteers through line management including regular supervision
- To ensure churches are made aware of the project in order for them to be fully involved and supportive
Person Specification/Key Competencies:
|Experience||Youth Work||Schools Work|
|Project Management||Line Management|
|Working with churches|
|Skills||Written and verbal communication||Delivering training|
|Able to communicate with young people|
|Knowledge||Safeguarding||Health and safety|
|Data protection||Microsoft Office|
|Attributes||Team leader and player||Creative|
|Ability to work under pressure||Sense of humour|
Because this post requires the post holder to be able to articulate and demonstrate the Christian faith, it is therefore a Genuine Occupational Requirement of the post that the person appointed should be an actively practising Christian demonstrated through personal belief, full participation in the life of a local church and through lifestyle.
To apply, please send (via email or post) your CV with a covering letter detailing why you think you would be suitable for the role, with reference to the job description and person specification.
Address: Helen Tribble, The Open Door Centre, Church Street, Exmouth EX8 1PE